Answered By: Bob Flatley
Last Updated: May 20, 2015     Views: 58

Yes, you will need to acquire "Public Viewing Rights" for these films.

For any films shown literally outside of the classroom, even if they are for educational purposes, the sponsors must purchase performance rights.

Most PBS productions, for example, come with public performance rights. It does not matter whether a faculty member introduces the films, a panel speaks before or after, etc. as far as the law is concerned.

Movies shown in the classroom related to the content of a specific course will fall under the education exception in Copyright law.

Stephanie Steely, Collection Development Librarian, has assisted groups on campus with this process.  She is willing to help you obtain performance rights for a film.  She can be reached at, 610-683-4745, her office is RL25.

Learn more

Related Topics

Contact Us

Questions? Click the Chat button below! If it says Offline click to send your question and contact info and we'll get back to you soon.